Tuesday 2 October 2012

Body Modification: My experience

Now I should start of by saying that I do not consider myself an expert in any way shape or form, none of what I say should be taken as fact, it is purely my experiences and thoughts on the subject. If you want information or are considering a body modification such as a piercing or tattoo then please talk to a professional and never try to do it by yourself ( I say this from a lot of experience!).  I do not have a vast amount of body mods however it is something that I love to look at and learn about, and I do plan on getting more. I also want to show you a picture of the cutest plugs that I owned, one is rose quarts and in the other the white part glows under uv light!

So here is the mods I have and a little info about them from my personal experience:
Ears
I have 6 piercings in my ears, rather lopsidedly as I have 5 in one and 1 in the other. 
first holes: I got these done when I was quite young in claires accesories ( I swear everyone got their ears pierced here?) these healed up without any problem. and i very rarely have jewellery in them now however they have stay open.
Second hole: I have a second hole just on my right ear, I got this done at a market stall during a visit to Manchester ( big mistake) I was quite young at the time and didn't think about the consequences, luckily it healed with no real problems but is in a wonky place in comparison to my first holes, going to a professional piercing place would have stopped this from happening. 
Third hole: Again this is just on one ear and again this was a piercing which I was less than clever about, this time having a few drinks and letting a friend have his wicked way with my ear. This one did cause me some problems and took a long while to heal and once again was wonky.
Cartilage piercing: This is at the top of my ear, I got it done professionally which meant it healed quickly and also is placed nicely within a half moon (just a nice way of saying there's a bit missing) in my ear.
Tragus piercing: Again this was done professionally. It hurt a lot less than I had been made to think,It was worse afterwards when I would accidentally lay my head down on that side when I slept (ouch!). I once had a mishap where my piercing  (I had a labret, a stud type piercing) fell out of my tragus and actually into my ear! I was terrified it was just going to keep on falling untill it got to my brain ( I know I overthink things) so immediately grabbed the boyfriend and got him to carefully get it out with tweezers, not the most romantic thing! other than that I have had no problems, some people complain about their tragus growing out but I have had mine for over 2 years now and it is fine.
Ear stretching: I stretched one ear, slowly over time using proper equipment, to 14mm. Someone once told me that if I stretch my ear past 8 it will never go back to normal. However I have had my plug out for about a year now and it is fully healed and to the size of a normal piercing hole once more. Though do be wary that once you get to a certain point your ears will not shrink back, you need to be fully aware and committed if you choose to go to large sizes.

Belly 
I got my belly button pierced when I was around 16 years old, It was done professionally in a shop and in 3 years there has been slight movement of the piercing growing out but that stopped around a year ago and it has since been fine. Now I don't exactly prance around with my belly out, and really no one actually see's this piercing which some people may find pointless but I don't care. I get piercings for me, not other people. So I'm the only one who needs to know about them really.

Nose
I got my nose pierced professionally with a stud (the starter stud is always massive) and as soon as I could changed it to a ring. I never had any problems and it healed fairly quickly (unlike my poor mum, her's completely rejected) The only one gripe I have with this piercing is that over the years of changing my jewellery I have gone from thicker piercings to smaller ones, leaving me with a slight scar where my piercing has closed up to accommodate the smaller jewellery

Tattoo
This is another dodgy one (surprise surprise) and was the result of too many drinks and an over zealous friend with indian ink and a needle. Once again I was very lucky that this did not get infected though now of course I am stuck with a less than perfect tattoo on my foot (and so is my friend). I do love tattoos and think they are my favourite form of body modification, Again though they need so much thought as they are on you for the rest of your life. I do plan on getting tattoos in the future ( done properly in a shop!)


If you want to see lovely pictures of all body modifications the check out this awesome blog by chloe on tumblr here. 

Meg x



No comments:

Post a Comment